Diabetes Australia – Vic a leading charity are dedicated to reducing the impact of diabetes in Australian communities, assisting all affected by diabetes and giving their input to the search for a diabetes cure. It is the peak consumer body that represents all people having diabetes in Victoria and offers vital information and support to the community on the subject of diabetes. They endeavor to minimize the effect of diabetes and work across type One & type Two as well as gestational diabetes, including pre-diabetes and general population health.
Diabetes Australia – Vic is also the registered the Agent for the NDSS across Victoria. Available is a full range of products at some heavily subsidized prices to help you in being able to manage your diabetes.
Being a member of Diabetes Australia – Vic connects one to the most recent services and information to assist people be able to live well while having diabetes. Some of the benefits include among others:
- Member magazines that contain current updates and information on diabetes management and research.
- Support through dietitians, diabetes educators and group education.
- Priority Access – seminars and forum, diabetes education and product offers.
- Advocacy – preventing discrimination and ensuring fair deal for persons having diabetes.
- Discounts – education, seminars, products and travel insurance.
From1953 Diabetes Australia – Vic has remained the leading charity and peak consumer body representing all those who are affected by diabetes plus those who are at risk.
Diabetes Australia – Vic work covers Types 1 & 2 as well as gestational diabetes plus programs targeting people at risk.
Diabetes Australia – Vic relies on supporters and members to aid in funding the research, diabetes education and awareness activities.
The offices are to be found in Queensberry Street in Geelong and in the Central Business District at Elizabeth Street, Greensborough.
About Diabetes Australia – Vic
Since the year 1953 Diabetes Australia – Vic has remained the leading charity as well as the peak consumer body that is working towards the reduction of the impact of all types of diabetes.
We are devoted to minimizing the general negative effect of diabetes in the community they are working in and assisting all people who are affected by the disease and give their contribution to the continuing search for a genuine cure. The work is covering both type 1 and type 2 of diabetes, gestational diabetes plus programs for those people at the highest risk.
Diabetes Australia – Vic also heavily relies on the bigheartedness of the caring community of supporters and members to help in funding the diabetes education, research and awareness activities.
What Diabetes Australia – Vic does
- Assists in excess of 260,000 Victorians having diabetes.
- Offering a membership program benefitting people having diabetes, their carers, the families, and diabetes health care professionals. The current membership figure is about 70,000.
- Running a teens and children membership initiative for connecting and engaging young persons with diabetes.
- Providing information, education and support that promotes and empowers self-treatment and management for all persons having diabetes.
- Administering the National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS), a Government of Australia initiative.
- Offering a comprehensive variety of retail products assisting in the management of diabetes. The products are accessible at 570 Elizabeth St as well as the approved pharmacies throughout Victoria.
- Support individuals having advocacy issues like workplace discrimination, accessing community based services and affordable diabetes medicines.
- Providing a voice for Victorians having diabetes by supporting advocacy at community and government level.
- Assisting health professionals through providing them with the resources, information, and professional development that aids them in support the patients.
Diabetes Australia – Vic Services
Diabetes Australia – Vic provides a service range that includes the Clothing Collection that collects 2nd-hand household items 7 days a week. We offer information concerning diabetes, services, programs, products, events membership and also facilitate in excess of 60 diabetes support groups in the community throughout Victoria.
Education and Programs
Diabetes Australia – Vic co-ordinates a variety of programs that include a State Government funded 4-year program that aims to prevent diabetes Type 2 known as Life! It is also called Taking action on Diabetes.
We lend a hand health to professionals via the General Practice Program using resources, information and professional development for supporting their clients having diabetes. Diabetes Australia – Vic also facilitates The Cultural Diversity Program, which are basically an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander program as well as Diabetes Types 1 &2 Programs. Additionally, they are running diabetes camps together with Southern Health and The Royal Children’s Hospital whereby teens and children having diabetes grow confidence and skills through the camp experiences.
Some of the tailored education for particular target groups:
- Telephone support and counselling
- Group education and self-management and for persons newly-diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes
In collaboration with Deakin University, Diabetes Australia – Vic set up in 2010 the Australian Centre for Behavioral Research in Diabetes. This is Australia’s first research centre committed to the psychological, behavioral, and social facets of diabetes having a focus on enhancing life quality of all those affected by diabetes across Australia.
Donate your outgrown or old clothes, small household goods, unused toys and books, unwanted and old mobile phones, not needed presents to Diabetes Australia – Vic. select that collection day suiting you and on that particular day leave the donations at your front door.
The donations assist in funding awareness programs for diabetes, support people having diabetes and aid in finding a cure with research work.
This easy free and convenient donating service could be just what you require:
- Following a seasonal house clean out or even when you’re moving your house
- Get free of those items leftover subsequent to your garage sale.
- In case you’ve recently had a family member who has passed away and you wish to clear out their residence or home
- When your kids have outgrown their items and they have left behind toys, books and outgrown clothes!
We collect some of the following from organisations, schools, residential households, churches or workplaces having surplus items.
- Pots and pans
- Mobile Phones
- Small furniture items