Who we are
The Muscular Dystrophy Queensland is a charity organisation that was founded in the year 1978 when some parents who had children suffering from the numerous health conditions associated with muscular dystrophy decided to support each other and also create awareness. This came as a result of the lack of support services for their children and the fact that majority of the living in the various communities knew nothing about the disease. The organisation was first known as the Muscular Dystrophy Support Group.
Presently, the Muscular Dystrophy Queensland provides a lot of services to both members of the organisation and those who are not members, without charging any fee for the services rendered.
What is the mission of the Muscular Dystrophy Queensland?
The organisation has three very basic missions and they are;
- To provide supportive services to people suffering from any of the muscular dystrophy conditions.
- To provide financial assistance for the conducting of clinical researches into the disease and how best to treat and prevent them.
- To ensure that the organisation is sustain to see to it that all people with muscular dystrophy are provided with essential support services.
All these three mission statements of the Muscular Dystrophy Queensland are aimed at helping to improve the quality of life that people with such health conditions live together with their families.
Brief information about muscular dystrophy
This is a health condition which is genetically related and leads to the continuous destruction of an individual’s body system to the time that they can no longer function properly and it also presents its victims with a shortened life span. People with muscular dystrophy mostly live up to their late teens and they are no more.
What are the services provided by the Muscular Dystrophy Queensland?
The Muscular Dystrophy Queensland, since its inception in the year 1978, has been supporting those with such health conditions and their families with a number of assistive services aimed at enhancing the quality of life of those having muscular dystrophy. Some of these essential services are;
- The provision of useful information on the causes and treatment of muscular dystrophy
- The provision of materials and resources for people who have muscular dystrophy to help them move about with a lot of ease
- The provision of loans which are given to people with muscular dystrophy and their families without any interest being charged
- The provision of the program referred to as “Your Life Your Choice” which allows people with their own funds to dictate how they want to be treated and cared for
- The organising of various campaigns aimed at helping to get a lot of people aware of muscular dystrophy and what it entails
- The provision of funds for the conducting of researches in the area of muscular dystrophy
How to get involved with the Muscular Dystrophy Queensland
- Purchase any of the Art Union Lottery tickets
- By becoming a member
- Leave a bequest
- Make a donation
- Become a volunteer
- Donate at your workplace
- Become a partner
- Participate in any of the activities that are organised