Who we are
The YWCA of Canberra is a Non Governmental Organisation that came into existence in the year 1929. It is an organisation that is solely aimed at the issues of women in the society and has an all women leadership. Since its inception in the year 1929, the YWCA of Canberra has been rendering a number of high quality support services to both women and children located within Canberra. When it comes to the issue of standing up for women in the community by providing support for them in Canberra, only one organisation stands out from the rest and that is the YWCA of Canberra.
What is the vision of the YWCA of Canberra?
The vision of the YWCA of Canberra is to see to it that females are provided with all the much needed skills, knowledge and resources in order to help with the holistic development of the community.
What is the main aim of the YWCA of Canberra?
The aim of YWCA of Canberra is to see to it that each and every woman is empowered in order to ensure that they are treated with the same respect and dignity as their male counterparts in the society.
What does the YWCA of Canberra value?
The Organisation values the following things;
- The development of leadership qualities within all women
- The essence of treating all humans as being equal
- Advocating for the rights of all women
- Acceptance of the fact that there are individual differences among people
- The idea of empowering women in the community
- Helping to create a reconciled community
- Accountable organisational management
These are the main elements of life that the YWCA of Canberra cherishes and holds dear.
With YWCA of Canberra, it is the provision of services that will help to educate and empower women and girls within the communities to also be in a position to shape the future of that particular society that matters to them most and as such undivided attention is given to every aspect of the programs that have been put in place to help with the realisation their targets.
What services does the YWCA of Canberra provide?
The YWCA of Canberra provides a number of services which are rendered under some specific programs and they are all aimed at helping to ensure that each and every woman within the Canberra community gets provided with all that she needs in order to help with the moulding of the community as a whole. The services provided include the following;
The provision of services for the community
This involves the rendering of services aimed at making helping to better develop the community and it includes the following;
- The provision of accommodation facilities used to support those families on the verge of becoming homeless.
- The organising of a variety of activities or events geared towards helping to get the children, youth and the entire community involved.
- The provision of the Circles of Support services which is mainly to provide guidance and counselling to children under the age of fifteen (15) years.
These are the services that are provided under the services for the community.
Services for children
The Organisation also provides another vital service that is aimed at the children living within the community of Canberra. These services cut across the provision of supportive services for children who have not yet started schooling, children who have already started schooling and also day care services for families.
Education and training services
This involves the provision of services that are aimed at getting the women well educated and properly trained with regards to being able to compete with their male counterparts. There are a whole lot of services that are rendered under this program and they are all to ensure that women become more empowered to help with the moulding of every aspect of the community.
The YWCA of Canberra also provides a number of services under the advocacy program with the view of helping to ensure that women also get recognised and treated on the same level as their male counterparts. This program involves the organising of various campaigns which are held with the goal of creating awareness in people about what they are helping to provide for women and the community as a whole.
These services all come together to ensure that women are better placed in order to help make the community a better place to live.
How to support the YWCA of Canberra
The following are the ways through which you can support the YWCA of Canberra;
- Through any of its membership plans
- Through the making of donations to the Organisation
- Through volunteering for the Organisation
- Through becoming a partner of the Organisation
- Through the great ydeas small grants program
- Through participating in the various events organised by the YWCA of Canberra
In choosing any of these ways you are also offering your support to the YWCA of Canberra to help it keep on with supporting the needs of women and girls in the community.